We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

MP calls for Northern to follow Thameslink and Great Northern and extend compensation to non-season ticket holders

September 4, 2018 10:43 AM
Originally published by Tim Farron

Tim with Oxenholme councillors Chris Hogg and Doug RathboneSouth Lakes MP Tim Farron has urged Northern to follow the lead of other rail companies after they extended their rail compensation schemes to people who don't have season tickets.

Earlier this week, both Thameslink and Great Northern announced they would make their current compensation scheme available to non-season ticket holders.

At a recent meeting of the Cumbria Better Connected group in Ulverston, Tim told bosses from Northern that they were completely disregarding thousands of passengers who regularly use the Lakes, Furness and Coast Lines in Cumbria.

Tim said: "Rail bosses from across the industry have apologised for the utter chaos that passengers in Cumbria have had to endure over the past three months.

"But their apologies will be seen as nothing more than crocodile tears.

"The decision to only make extra rail compensation available to a small percentage of people, simply adds to the feeling that they are more concerned about headlines and simply don't care about rail passengers in the North.

"Northern must follow Thameslink and Great Northern's lead and extend compensation to the many passengers who don't have season tickets."

Elsewhere, Oxenholme councillor Douglas Rathbone has written to Northern Rail's Interim Regional Director calling for the company to extend the period of time for claims on their current compensation scheme, which is set to end on 19 September, after yet more weeks of cancellations on the Lakes and Furness Lines.

Douglas has also called for the scheme to be more widely advertised at stations on the two lines so that local people and visitors are able to get their money back after continuing poor services.

Douglas said: "The continuing disruption is not acceptable for the people or businesses of South Lakeland."

"I am concerned that this compensation fund has not been advertised widely enough and feel that an extension of this date along with details being made clearly visible at all stations would ensure that everyone using the service is given an opportunity to fully utilise this scheme."